Saturday 19 May 2007

There goes... my pauvre petite weekend...

A fraught weekend ahead. A life shorter by another weekend. Very tacky perhaps but just thinking about it makes Floyd jump up in my head… shorter of breath and one day closer to death…

So what if I'll be working the whole day long on a Saturday and on a Sunday? It wouldn't be the first time (which actually should, and does, make it more depressing?)!

But a wise man said to me toady that it's just a weekend. And I'd like to agree... for my own sake. Lovely defence mechanisms are conjured up!

In other news:

'Delhi needs more swimming pools' says a frustrated swimmer banging into someone or the other every three strokes. To no one in particular.

'What're you doing to the weather God?' asked a man who found the one-day-I'll-give-you-hail and the-oven-the-next-day game being played on Delhi slightly amusing. Or perhaps this man should ask the entire person-kind (himself too, if either of the two words are applicable) this question.

Finished The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri. What a beautiful work!

iPod's on shuffle again. The Dead sang love is love not fade away and I wondered if that's true. Then Dido did I'm No Angel and I wondered nothing. Simon 'n Garfunkel sang a Poem on the Underground Wall but I was restless in anticipation and the song (much like the train) was gone suddenly. Don't remember much else of what played but considering I was on the road for nearly 2 hours in total today, there must've been a lot.

A funny thing happens on the shuffle, which is regarding this BBC Eyewitness series I've got on the pod from the 1900 to 2000. Odd things (odd-pod) play up from this series and sometimes it feels like being pulled into a completely different time and space (all depends upon how much traffic there is on the road at that time actually). Some of the sound-recordings come from as far back as in the 1910s! Oh! The lovely static! I'll try jotting about some interesting ones if they come up and I remember them later. They're of all kinds: the Falkland wars between Britain and Argentina; the Ist World War; the IInd; Princess Di; Thatcher; Major; Lockerbie tragedy; partition of India; control of the government on the BBC; pop music's influence in the 60s; affluence in some decades; poverty in others; Sarajevo; George Orwell on something; Tony Blair on another; sinking of the Titanic; racism; John Lennon; etc etc.

It was an unhappy coincidence however that maybe just 2 days before the shooting in Virginia Tech the shuffle played a series' segment on the Hungerford killings in the UK in the late '80s where someone shot 17 people including his mother and then himself. It is baffling how the human brain can function (or dysfunction).

On a brighter note (and I've not had the best of days actually so this took some 2 minutes on the watch to figure out; actually 5 and counting)… the music's still playing and books still await to be cradled and I'm hoping to watch Majid Majidi's magical film Children of Heaven again tomorrow!

Goodnight to some of the world and good morning to some. Aaftah-noons 'n evenings somewhere too!

No comments: